HMS HACCP / ISO 22000
(4-Day course, NQF level 4, 15 credits)
In order to ensure safe meat products with exceptional quality various food safety and quality systems have been developed and implemented worldwide. The South African government recognized the need for governance in the abattoir sector and thus established legislation, the Meat Safety Act, 2000 (Act 40 of 2000) and the Red Meat Regulations to govern the red meat abattoir industry and its processes. The Regulations require that an abattoir implement a Hygiene Management System (HMS) to manage and document abattoir activities and as a result it has become crucial to provide guidance to the industry regarding the implementation of the HMS.
Consumer awareness has also resulted in the prevention of food borne illnesses becoming a priority in food processing facilities. The implementation of HACCP has been recognized an effective way of identifying and preventing hazards that could cause these illnesses. The implementation of both the HMS and HACCP provides consumers with assurances and guarantees regarding the safety and quality of the product they purchase.
ISO 22000 is a Food Safety Management System that can be applied to any organization in the food chain, farm to fork. Becoming certified to ISO 22000 allows a company to show their customers that they have a food safety management system in place. This provides customer confidence in the product. This is becoming more and more important as customers demand safe food and food processors require that ingredients obtained from their suppliers to be safe.
- HMS Policy and document control
- Laboratory sampling programs
- Corrective actions
- Hygiene Assessment System (HAS)
- Traceability and recall
- Examples of policies, procedures and checklists
- Identification of hazards and CCPs\
- Procedures to control and monitor
- Documentation for compliance
- An overview of ISO 22000
- New FSSC22000, differences and detailing its strengths and benefits
- FSSC22000 certification requirements
- The purpose, content and interrelationship of ISO/TS22002-1 / ISO22000 / FSSC22000
- Legislative framework relevant to a food safety management system
This program is aimed at Hygiene Managers, Quality Managers, Quality Administration.
Staff and Management. Due to the difficulty and complexity of the program all learners should:
- Have 6 months’ experience in either Meat Inspection, Quality Assurance and or Hygiene Management
- Have completed grade 12 (Matric) successfully
- Be English literate (read and write)
Learners will be required to attend all 4 days of the program in order to be found competent. Class can be attended via ZOOM or in person
Requirements for Virtual Contact Sessions
- ZOOM must be installed on your PC, laptop, or android phone
- Use GOOGLE CHROME for your browser
- You will need SUFFICIENT DATA, to participate in your virtual training as per your timetable
- You will be provided with a PASSWORD to the e-learning platform to access training
material, videos and slides for the course
Complete the registration form below and return to AST with a CERTIFIED copy of the learner’s ID. Note that the learner will not be registered if a CERTIFIED ID copy is not submitted with the registration form.
All arrangements and costs for travel and accommodation for in-person training is the responsibility of the attendee/abattoir.
Contact Ella Mostert at (012) 349-1237 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.